Sunday, May 22, 2016

5/22/2016 (Day 143) New Trees!

As many of you know, I LOVE the trees. So when I came across an article in Saturday's copy of The Recorder (our town newspaper) that stated "New tree ordinance aimed at making Greenfield greener," I was thrilled! It stated that the town council has passed an ordinance, with a unanimous vote, that "gives the Department of Public Works the right to plant trees in the strip of grass between the street and sidewalk--often referred to as the tree belt." Apparently the right to plant new trees in the tree belt had been banned 15 years ago.  So, as many of the older trees began leaning too much (which often happens to these trees because they don't have enough dirt to hold them up when they get older) they were cut down but not a one has been replaced in 15 years and so Greenfield is not as pretty as it once was.

The ordinance outlines a tree replacement policy and allows residents to request or plant trees in front of their home. The article went on the say the DPW is scheduled to take down 24 more trees soon but also to plant 74 new trees throughout the town this year, which  made me very happy. I lost two trees in front of my house in the past few years, and am hoping to have the chance to get a new one planted there! I am planning on asking them to plant a tree in front of my house...I think I'd like a sycamore! (It says you just need to contact the town and they will put you on a list). I'm super excited to see all the new ones around town as they are planted!




No comments:

Post a Comment