Sunday, February 28, 2016

2/28/2016 (Day 59) The Green River

 Spring time. Green River
So many years by her side. 
She never gets old. 
~Amie

 I've enjoyed the tranquil beauty of the lovely Green River my entire life.
 I consider Her one of my greatest blessings. 
 As a child, I remember hiking down from Oak Courts with neighborhood kids and spending long summer days at the Greenfield Swimming Pool. Back then there was a low dive, a high dive and a slide that went straight into the water. It was a happening place where you were sure to see everyone you knew in town gathered all summer long. 
As a young adult, ''back in the day,'' when you could still get away with those kind of things, there were many nights spent on her banks drinking and partying and communing. It was a favored place to bring new lovers as I could feel the coursing her waters and it made my own blood quicken...I felt magical and alive and seductive by her side on those moonlit nights. 
As a young mother, living on Main Street, with no yard, it was a godsend that literally preserved my sanity on hot summer days when my daughter was little. We spent entire summers there...I would pack a cooler and join the other mothers who were there with their kids. We would spend all day there and often go home and come back after dinner for another swim and/or time at the playground.  
There were many wonderful days spent hiking along her banks, treading in and out of her shallow waters, further exploring her wonders. I remember one glorious day, with my friend Becca, where we found a patch of green clay, stipped off our clothes, covered ourselves in it, baked in the sun till it was dry and then rinsed it off in the current. We also did our best to leave our footprints in the clay at the bottom of the river and wondered if the would stay or not. And another time we set a pair of hamsters free in the roots of the trees along her bank (I sometimes wonder if there might be a population of wild hamsters, or half mouse half hamsters running around out there after that.
For the past several years,, since I moved back to Greenfield a place to go where I can get away from the world and just connect the beauty of Gaia as she soothes my mind and body. The bike path that runs along her banks is one of my favorite places to go. You can hear the sound of the traffic on I-91,  which is surprisingly soothing (it kind of sounds like the ocean). I was happy today to connect with Her after the long Winter and look forward to another year together <3 
Oh how I love you, my beautiful Green River <3

No comments:

Post a Comment