Tuesday, February 9, 2016

2/9/2016 (Day 40) My Grandmother's Lullabies

 I never knew my mother's mother
She died the year before I was born.
All I have are a few photographs
and the remains of an old, rose pattern, tea set
alleged to have been hers. 
I see her in my cheek bones
though my face was never as thin. 
I wonder where her smile went 
and vaguely recall stories my mother told
of when she lay dying
the year before I was born. 
I feel as though I can remember the sound of her voice
from a place, somewhere in my dreams.
As a child, I think she watched over me, was there with me, 
that time in the hospital, when I was two
after I unplugged the Christmas tree with my mouth,
and got electrocuted. 

Three weeks in Boston Children's Hospital 
and my mother only visited twice.
I found this out when I was in my 30s and it made me pretty mad,
thought I should've been told that sooner. 
She said she thought I knew. 
How could I have? I ask. 
But I do remember a beautiful voice
in the night
singing lullabies by my bedside
so that I was unafraid. 
And my mother, who could never sing. 

2 comments:

  1. Very touching! Amie, I also have very few memories of your grandmother, Most of which are sad, Our life then, was very hard ,as was hers,. Saddled with 4 children and a irresponsible husband. She did the best she could while on this earth. I have no doubt that on some ethereal plane there was a connection to you and her. As she was at heart a tormented soul and basically kind and loving. And in the afterlife searched for some souls to comfort and care for. Your story is not foreign to me ,as I also feel her presence often during low times in my life. You came at a time when perhaps souls pass by each other in transition, Birth and Death. In that take your memories of your Grandmother as a sign ,Like two ships passing in the night. Take comfort in it that someone was looking after you in a dark hour, More than can be said for her life! Love you, and thank you! Uncle Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you UB <3 Your words are beautiful and touch my heart at well. I love what you said: "You came at a time when perhaps souls pass by each other in transition, Birth and Death." It brings tears to my eyes. I am happy that you seem to have be at peace and see the situation in such a beautiful Light, despite how hard it must've been on you as a child. I love you, thank you for reading and sharing your insight <3

      Delete